Being a member of the tattoo community means answering REDUNDANT questions from time to time:
- How long did your tattoo take?
- How much did it cost?
- What are you going to do when you're old?
- How will you get a job?
- What does it mean?
- What does it say?
Backhanded statements / actions you won't expect
- You don't look like the type of person to get tattoos.
- But you're too pretty/handsome for tattoos.
- *reaches out to touch tattoo*
How to respond to said questions/statements/actions
Remember that the person is likely just interested in your tattoo -or- it is a sub-culture they do not understand. Think about being an ambassador for your community, approach any backhanded statement/action with respect despite the lack of respect you may be feeling.
Offer a suggestion for the future: "Although I don't mind, next time you might want to ask someone before you touch their tattoo."
What is the most common question you get asked about your tattoo?